Please FOLLOW US on Pinterest and LIKE us on Facebook

School Ideas..We have fun name decals, Backpack Name Tags, Teacher Gifts, Wall Vinyls..

Monday, September 14, 2009

HOMEMADE ALMOND JOY BARS

Wow.....These are great!...These taste like
the wonderful Almond Joy Bars we had when
we were kids....They still have those....They were
my mother's favorite.....

The roasted almonds are out of this world mixed
with the sweet coconut, chocolate, and graham cracker
crust...Wow...It's a great dessert. The recipe
comes from Better Homes & Gardens magazine...

******I did a couple of things that you should not do.
I used a smaller size pan (7x11x2) because that's all
I had available....I found that it made the top layer
of chocolate so thick I had a harder time cutting them.


RECIPE
2 c. graham crackers
1 1/2 c. whole almonds
1/3 c. brown sugar
2/3 c. butter, melted
1 14oz. pkg. flaked coconut
1 14oz. can sweetened condensed milk
18 oz. dark chocolate pieces, melted


The photo above shows the whole almonds before
they go into the oven to roast...
*********To roast nuts spread them in a
single layer in a shallow pan. Bake in a
pre-heated 350F. oven for 5-10 min. or
until nuts are slightly golden brown, stirring
once or twice.

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Place graham crackers
crumbs, 1/2 c. of the almonds, & brown
sugar in a food processor or blender. Cover
& process until almonds are finely chopped.
Add butter, cover & pulse 4 or 5 times or
until mixture is well combined. Press crumb
mixture into bottom of an ungreased 13x9x2 inch
baking pan. Bake in preheated oven for 12 min.
Cool on wire rack.


2. Combined coconut and sweetened condensed
milk in a medium bowl. Spread mixture evenly
over crusted crust. Sprinkle remaining almonds
evenly over coconut layer. Bake 10 min.

****To melt chocolate pieces, place into a
micro-safe bowl. Microwave @ 50% power
(medium) about 3 min. or until chocolate
is melted & smooth stirring once or twice...

3. Spread melted chocolate evenly over top of baked
mixture . Cool completely in pan on wire rack or chill
in refrigerator until the chocolate is set. Cut into bars.
Enjoy.........

To store: Place bars in a single layer (in an airtight
container); cover. Refrigerate up to 1 week or freeze
for up to 3 months. Let stand 30 min. before serving.

30 comments:

  1. That looks yummy! Thanks for the cookies, they were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barb
    Wow I've been all over your site and theres lots of great things, but THIS recipe I'm definitely going to try this weekend. Thanks for popping over to Recaptured Charm.
    I have become a follower as well.
    Thanks Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man...Almond Joys are my fav!!! Thanks for linking up this recipe! See you next week at Mad Skills Monday!

    Ginger
    SSB

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum! you come up with the best recipes! thank you! I'd love for you to link this up to sundae scoop http://iheartnaptime.blogspot.com/2010/04/sundae-scoop-2-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're just killing me with all these yummy recipes, man this sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look yummy! Thanks for linking up! I love Almond Joys!

    Happy Day,
    Jasey @ Crazy Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I need to make some. I host a link party on saturdays it is www.iamonly1woman.blogspot.com and would love for you to join me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious. Coming over from Life in the Pitts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how I love Almond Joys. My husband's favorite candy bar. If I make these I will eat all of them, no kidding. They sound so yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is marvelous. I must immediately bookmark and then walk away -- I'll just walk away. I won't make them tonight and eat them all myself. I will wait for a special occasion....like tomorrow night! haha. Thank you for linking this decadent treat to the Boardwalk Bragfest...my goodness I'm so entranced, I almost forgot the name of my blog (haha)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm, you are killing me with these amazing recipe ideas! My mouth is watering.

    Thank you for linking this to A Little Craft Therapy, with Life in the Pitts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooh, I LOVE Almond Joy!! This sounds great!

    Thanks for linking up to I'm Lovin' It!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy!

    Thanks for joing Get Your Craft on Thursaday. Please join me next week for another great party!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am just announcing that you have won the Tuesday Tastes People's Choice Award! Come claim your prize button! Congratulations!

    Happy Day,
    Jasey @ Crazy Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look delicious!

    I'm hosting a blog party right now and I'd love it if you stopped by and linked up. Hope to see you at Saturday is Crafty Day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My daughter loves Almond Joys. I'm bookmarking this. You wouldn't happen to have a York peppermint patty knock off would you?

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is my all time favorite candy bar so I am definitely bookmarking this recipe!

    Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours Day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, yum-o! These look so good! Thanks for linking them up to Be Inspired last week.

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi,
    I followed you over from the Life As Lori link party. I am now a follower of yours. I would really love it if you stopped by and visited me too. Be sure to enter the drawing if you do. Keep up the good work. Rory http://toolsareforwomentoo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmmm! I love coconut with anything - especially chocolate. These look amazing. Thanks for posting :)

    ~Sarah @ Sugar Bananas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another treat my husband would truly love! Thanks for sharing your post for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so excited to find this recipe as I am trying to collect ideas for a Mother's Day lunch. Almond Joys are my mother's favorite and this recipe came at a perfect time! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Almond Joys are my hubby's favorite candy. He will love this recipe!!

    Thanks for linking it to Woo Hoo! Wednesday. Please remember to link back your posts to me either on your post or sidebar. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am loving your recipes - though I think I am going to add on a few pounds just looking at them! Must try these! Thanks for joining the Sunday Showcase! I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful week! ~Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hiya! I'm following you from one of the Follow Friday Hops!!! This recipe rocks! I want to make it for my hubby!!!

    Hope you stop in and link up AND link this up in my RECIPE 2 Tab!!

    Susie http://goo.gl/syX1

    ReplyDelete
  26. These sound so yummy! I love coconut, but my hubby isn't a big fan...I guess I would get to eat them all myself:) Thanks for linking them up in honor of National Homemade Cookie Day!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I saw these before and totally forgot to bookmark them. I'm doing it this time! I know my hub would love them!

    I'm celebrating my 3 year blogiversary this week. I'd love for you to come by and enter my follower giveaway. The prize pack includes a Presto Cool Touch Griddle!

    ReplyDelete